Thursday, July 9, 2009

5 years ago today...

July 9, 2004 was a Friday morning and I got up to take a walk at about 6 am before working from home. About half-way around the block, something happened. I wasn't sure if my water broke or I peed my pants. Hmm??? How was I supposed to know the difference, all this was new to me!

So I came home, woke up hubby and tried to decide what to do. I called the Dr.’s office and they told me to come in. They were pretty sure my water had broken, and wanted to confirm. My mom was staying with us, so she could be here for the birth. We woke her up, waited around for her to get ready and left for the Dr.’s office. They confirmed that my water had broken and sent me to the hospital. I knew at that point that I had 24 hours to have this baby, or they would do a c-section....something I SERIOUSLY wanted to avoid!

We got to the hospital at about 10:30 am. They got me situated in a room and left me alone for a while to see if labor would progress. We waited a long time and not much happened. Daddy and I walked the halls of the hospital trying to get some contractions going, but no dice. Eventually, they hooked me up with Pitocin to get the contractions moving. That got things moving along, but didn’t stop me from enjoying the Cubs game- but I think they lost =(. Meanwhile, hubby and Mam-gu waited (somewhat patiently), and made me a little crazy!

Eventually, the real hard labor began at about 6 pm. The contractions were rough, and it took a lot of help from hubby to keep me focused. By midnight, it was time to push and they were calling the Dr. to come. I recall they told me not to push as the doc wasn't there yet, apparently she got a speeding ticket on the way to the hospital!!

After an hour and a half of pushing, Trevor was finally born, facing up into the world (opposite of what you’re supposed to do!). His nose was bent because of that, and he had the umbilical cord wrapped around one shoulder making his arm blue. But the arm was just fine, and eventually the nose un-bent. I remember Daddy cutting the cord, my mom taking a zillion pictures, and making faces like "ow, that looks painful".....thanks mom! ;)

Trevor Phineas born Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 1:39 am 6 pounds 13 oz, 20 inches.

No comments: