Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Da Beach

It's Beach day!! And in the end, it was a great day. It was a good idea to postpone and wait, but it was hard to convince the kids of that.

We left my folks house after breakfast and started the 2-hour drive down-state. Yes, Delaware is the 2nd smallest state, but thanks to no interstate, it's still 2 hours to go 90 miles! Oh well. About 1/2 way there, Trevor decided he no longer wanted to go. After various stall tactics, and re-direction ideas, we gave up and told him he was SOL...we were going to the beach. Then the fit started. For a while we ignored it, but that didn't work as his screeches got louder.

Finally, I pulled over into a parking lot, took him out of the car, and told him he was welcome to stand and scream and have a fit for as long as he wanted. I would be waiting in the car. (Yes, he was safe...he was in a grassy fenced area, where he couldn't leave since I blocked him in with the car). He looked at me like I was crazy, and watched me walk to the car. When he realized I wasn't leaving, he decided he was done with the fit and calmed down, came over to me and apologized. And so we continued to drive to the beach...

Once we got there, you would never have guessed this kid didn't want to go to the beach. He, and his brother and parents, had a BLAST!! We met up with my long-time friend Linda, her husband, and family there. We waded, built castles, dug holes, went tubing, ate lunch, had ice cream, and just lounged around for the whole day. Steve spent a TON of time in the surf just enjoying the waves. It really made the whole trip feel like a true vacation!

Trevor covering himself in sand
Eating sandwiches on the beach
Blake as far in the water as he would go!
Trevor trying out tubing, like he saw Daddy and Ron do.
Trevor LOVED tubing!

Both kids slept the entire car ride home, but the of course, they wouldn't go to bed!!!

No comments: